Takhat Shri Hazur Sahib
Takhat Sachkhand Sri Hazoor Sahib (19.1528°n 77.3189°e) is the principal Sikh shrine at Nanded in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It marks the site where Guru Gobind Singh had his camp in 1708, after the departure of the emperor Bahadur Shah and where, in October 2008, the 300th anniversary celebration of the Guruship of Guru Granth Sahib took place.
The tenth Guru held his court and congregation here. It is the site of his own tent where he was convalescing after he was attacked by assassins and the place at which Guru Gobind Singh ji ‘s light rose to rejoin the light of the Creator. This site is now one of five Takhats which are places of primary importance to the Sikhs. The other four takhats are: Akal Takhat at Amritsar, Takhat Keshgarh Sahib at Anandpur, Takhat Patna Sahib in Bihar District and Takhat Damdama Sahib in Talwandi Sabo, Bhatinda, Punjab.
In 1708 being prescient of the end of his earthly role, the Guru had dispatched Banda Singh with five of his Sikhs to Punjab and Mata Sahib Devan under a separate escort to Delhi before the stabbing incident. He told the rest of his retinue to retire to their homes if they so wished, but he bade one Bhai Santokh Singh to stay on here and keep Guru ka Langar going.
However, many others also chose to remain. Together they built a room over the platform where Guru Gobind Singh would sit while holding his court and installed the Guru Granth Sahib on it. They called it Takhat Sahib. Guru Gobind Singh, while conferring Guruship on the holy Book, had himself named Nanded as “Abchalnagar” (literally “Steadfast city”) after the first word of a hymn read at random on the occasion.
Sachkhand (literally “region of Truth”) had been used by Guru Nanak Dev to mean the abode of God. Maharaja Ranjit Singh (1780-1839), had the present day building of the Takhat Sahib constructed, sending money, artisans and labor from the Punjab Kingdom, Under Sardar Chanda Singh. Present Takhat was constructed, from 1832-1837. Around the same time the Nizam of Hyderabad raised a contingent of Northern Sikhs as part of his army. Most of these men settled permanently in Hyderabad State. Many militant and righteous Hindus of that State, embraced Sikhism in the 19th century.
The control of Takhat Sachkhand Sri Hazoor Sahib, was In the hands of Bhai Daya Singh, and Bhai Dharam Singh, But after 1708, which had formerly passed into the hands of Udasi priests, But was regained by the Sikhs under the influence of the Singh Sabha Movement of the late nineteenth century (1872-1879). Some of the ‘rituals and ceremonies connected with working’ are peculiar to this Takhat Sahib. In 1956 an Act was passed by the legislature of Hyderabad under which the management of the Takhat Sahib and other historical Gurdwaras was legally placed under a 17 member Gurudwaras Board and a five member Managing Committee.